Top 5 things With Kelli Clifton:
About Starting Your Own Company:
- Develop your own style, tone and voice. Don’t compare yourself to others. People will love your content for you, not anyone else.
- The beauty industry is forever changing. Be innovative and forthcoming with your ideas and don’t be afraid to approach brands with proposals.
- Being in the social media/digital sphere isn’t about how many likes or followers you have. It’s about engagement and building a reliable community. Remember that at all times.
- Content creation requires a lot of effort and planning. If this is something you want to pursue, set time aside each week to post/create and be consistent.
- Remain enthusiastic and driven at all times. There will be instances where a shoot is dropped or times that you don’t land your dream campaign. Don’t let it discourage you. Onwards and upwards! Keep hustling.
What Did You Learn Along The Way.
- Keep true to yourself and have editorial integrity at all times.
- Value your readers/followers and keep in contact with them on a regular basis.
- Work hard on nurturing the relationships you have with various brands.
- Be prepared to start from the bottom and work your way up. Your stripes need to be earned.
- Support your fellow industry colleagues – purchase their products, share their posts, attend their events. Developing a contact list is key when it comes to this industry.
That No One Knows About…
- It’s not as glamorous as it looks. Sure, Instagram stories may show glasses of champagne, gorgeous press drops and beautiful people at events but there’s another side to this job which includes early morning flights, airport delays and lots of time and effort into building a personal brand. It’s hard work and a constant hustle – and this is coming from someone who’s been in the game for over a decade.
- It’s OK to say no. You don’t have to do every campaign that comes your way. Stay true to yourself and think: ‘How does this work for me and my readers?’. If it doesn’t, then, have the strength to decline.
- Brands need to be approached with campaign ideas. If you have a concept, put something together, do your research and find the contact details of the particular brand you want to work with and get in touch. It will impress them, trust me.
- Your social media platforms are the modern day CV. Keep them tidy at all times. Your future employer could be one of your followers!
- The beauty industry is small. Don’t burn bridges, build ones instead!
- Engage with your favourite brands as much as possible on social media. They notice!
Wellness trends are so powerful. They bring light to the countless ways that we can look after ourselves. From Crossfit to Kundalini, when different trends rise, sometimes hopping on board can be a great way for you to find something that works really well for you.
When it comes to Spring Summer makeup, we’re seeing real skin, not too much glow and powder is used strategically to ensure there is no unwanted shine.